It's so much our prime minister Modi is trying to do. He always stress the fact that - India has 65% of population aging less than 35.
These numbers screams at me something. What other countries don't have and we Indians have. Irrespective of being one of richest countries, we have people. I have a different view. India is the richest country having highest man power. What now matters is, how we can get these precious man power to solve problems and develop new apps which can be used worldwide.
So I thought of writing a generic blog series targeting young Indians who are doing their engineering.
Specially Computer Science & IT
I will talk about freshers and experienced in further series. This article will focus only on what can be done better.
Disclaimer: The view mentioned below is based on my experience. Please comment below if something can be improved. The point her is not to criticize one. But an effort to explain what are actionable which can help someone where they want to be
A decade ago, access to the internet was so much of difficulty. Thanks to the neck to neck competition of networks. This decade has marked iconic growth on internet adoption and use of mobile devices across the country.
- You can learn anything you want - Youtube
- Search anything you want - Google Search
- Connect with friends and keep in touch - Facebook.
- Share your thoughts and follow successful people - Twitter.
Amazon, Google and other similar players in the cloud have enabled many people to get rid of server hosting issues, network down time, etc. You can literally have your website or web-app up in 10mins if you have the idea and code ready.
Fresh budding engineers are busy coping with academics. Does our academics address the demand for 2020? Or 2025? or 2030?
Many of them have the similar concern and do not think out of the box.
- Many want to get into the much hyped TCS, Wipro, Infosys. Where they don't even know which technology stream they will be put into. Few unlucky ones get into dying mainframe industry. Few average lucky get into Java, Web. Lucky ones - Get into hot tech - Hadoop, Spark, Machine learning.
- Many end up in average to low performing colleges. Almost everyone concerned of if XYZ company comes this year or not. Or, what happens if XYZ has high cut off marks and you have already messed up the criteria in 10th or 12th.
- Struggling to raise the budget to buy projects for the final year.
There are very few - Say 10% out of which they realize their potential at early days of engineering. These are the "Square pegs in the round hole". Who wants to try something new but held back with academic pressure. 50% out of 10% give up. Rest 50% out of 10% strive for excellence. Work hard. Burn mid night oil. Fail a thousand times but never give up. These end up starting their own startup. IITs are known for these kinds of talents.
Current IT Industry is running short of millions of skilled individuals. Yes. It's very hard to find talented people. Many will ask there are a lot of unemployed sitting already. The question is - are they really skilled? What is the reason to hire them? Just got a degree? How much of the things you learn in college is used on the job?
Here comes the point - What should they do? What should students focus when they have golden 4 years of engineering?
- Not to blame lectures - Entire youtube is free to watch. If you wish, you can learn from lectured from Professors.
- Experiment - Develop new apps. You face hundreds of problem every day. Narrow your focus and develop an app and address the problem. Don't just keep complaining. This is not right. That is not right. It's all about how to make it right and what can you contribute to making it right.
- Fund yourself - Many complain not having enough money to host website. Today, its virtually free to host an app prototype online. You can contact any of the VC or statup groups and demo your ideas. There are people who are ready to put money for you. They will take some share. But this should give you good start. Better try than never.
- Start reading books - Oh, not the curriculum books. Am talking about famous books on how to manage wealth, a biography of successful people. You get a taste of their decade worth of journey's experience in few weeks. You can make sure you can avoid few mistakes which they did.
- Internship - Get a taste of how it feels to be in your dream career. Research and learn about the company where you want to be. Take help of Alumni's, Seniors, Lecturers or family members to get into an internship
- Learn - Youtube has MIT OCW course. Coursera has free courses. Khan Academy has awesome videos on basics of Math, Stats, and science.
- Implement vs memorize - We learn core Math, Algorithms, Data Structure, Operating System, etc. Have we ever tried to implement it in a software program? Try it. You fail a thousand time. But when the program works, you are the most happiest person on this planet.
- Learn about Taxes - Do realize the importance of taxes. That's how government gets money to build infrastructure. After you start earning, don't ask why should you pay taxes or find ways to cheat. Plan it well so that you can get more out of it. Search google if you want to know more.
Big Data and Machine learning are the future. Plan to code a program which can auto write a program for you. Code a program which can debug the error and tell you what is wrong. Find out anomalies in data and make a decision or help business take decisions. Improve customer service by using chat bots - You never know if the reply came from a computer or a human. Internet of things - the next big thing. Self Driving cars.
Dream big. Even sky is not the limit. Elon Musk is working hard to get humans to Mars.
Learn consistency and discipline - dedicate an hour every day to achieve your goals. Remove distractions.